Why is Jacques Pepin's New Complete Techniques so frequently recommended on this sub?

I've been searching the history of this sub for "fundamentals" cookbooks. I'm a home-cook who is trying to get more advanced at cooking and learn to cook without recipes. I saw this book recommended on several threads and decided to buy it.

Flipping through the book I was kind of disappointed. It's full of lots of little mini-recipes, but I don't really understand why these recipes are the "fundamentals" and not other recipes. Why do I need to know how to make a corn crepe or a dandelion salad? How does this teach me the fundamentals of cooking in general?

What I was hoping for was a book that could teach me the throughlines of various cuisines (not just french cooking) so that I can understand why recipes are designed the way they are, when it's okay to make substitutions, and ultimately to be able to create my own recipes. Is this simply not the kind of book I'm looking for? Or am I misunderstanding it's importance?

submitted by /u/These_Trust3199
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/LwYujqo

Comments