Opah / Moonfish abductor muscle.

Stopped by Tommy Gomes' Tunaville today to pick up some fresh fish for dinner (If you are in San Diego, definitely stop by.) And he mentioned a cut he was giving away to people with smokers to play with. I'm friends with his daughter, so he knows me, and I told him I had two smokers, as well as a cold smoke setup.

He told one of the guys to go grab a cut for me, then said, you know what, fuck it, give it all to him, and I walked out with a little over 5lbs of Opah abductor muscle.

What are your suggestions?

Consider that I have a home version of a commercial kitchen. Smokers, sous vide, pizza oven, meat grinder, sausage stuffer, meat slicer, vacuum sealer, so I can probably improvise anything. I just don't know anything about this cut except that it is typically discarded, can be tough, and when used is often ground.

I'm absolutely imagining brisket of the sea, but already see how the interspersed silver skin would be problematic.

submitted by /u/hagcel
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/f0oyrYk

Comments