Aglio e olio not emulsifying properly, is my olive oil to blame? (UK)

Hey everyone,

I've tried my hand at making aglio e olio a couple of times so far and both times I struggled to get the oil to emulsify with the pasta water. I'm using an Aldi own brand olive oil, my best guess so far is that maybe this is the issue?

All I know is that both times I've made it I've had to add another type of fat to get it all to emulsify properly, shredded Parmesan the first time and a knob of butter the second.

I'll quickly run down my cooking steps in case there's any glaring problems there:

  1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add my dried pasta (cooking for 6-7 minutes total)
  2. Bring a stainless steel pan to medium heat and add olive oil, closely followed by sliced garlic and chilli
  3. Add a ladleful of pasta water to the oil and stir
  4. Add in my pasta straight from the water, bringing some of the pasta water into the pan with it
  5. Keep stirring adding pasta water as needed
  6. (This is where I've usually resorted to adding in another fat to help with the emulsification)
  7. Add a generous amount of chopped parsley and stir to incorporate
  8. Portion into bowls, garnish with more chopped parsley, a little raw minced garlic and top off with some fresh grated Parmesan

While I've not been able to get the oil and water to emulsify on their own, both attempts have ultimately been a hit after saving them with the added fats. I'd just like to know what I'm doing wrong so I don't have to do that.

Thanks in advance everyone!

submitted by /u/Meta-Fox
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/19radqu

Comments