Rinsing vs. Soaking Hand Cut Fries

This is something I've been battling for a while. I usually went by the soaking technique but once when in a pinch I instead: dumped my 1lb batch of fries in a 2 gallon Cambro filled with water, agitated the potatoes, drained the starchy water from the container, and repeated, until the water was completely clear. Seeing the effectiveness of this technique I've adopted it as my go to.

A lot of articles I come across still strongly recommend soaking potatoes in the fridge overnight. I don't wanna directly ask if this is overkill but how much more starch am I extracting if/when done this way? One other small but still intriguing recommendation I've seen is to soak in cold water. Is there any advantage in doing this as opposed to doing so in room temp water?

Regardless, both techniques give me an excellent golden fry once blanched then fried, free of any excess starch causing discoloration. I'm all for improving my technique so if anyone could help me break down the key differences (if any) between the two, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

submitted by /u/TKB21
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/oQ1za4S

Comments