Pepper in Luciano Monosillio's carbonara recipe

I tried the recipe listed on this link https://theshortli.st/recipes/carbonara

I instinctually halved the amount of pepper it calls for (10g) after having ground it, but it still came out weirdly spicy. I don't understand what went wrong. I came back to the recipe and noticed it lists two masses for pepper.

What went wrong?

I 3x'd the recipe to serve 6 servings. I measured out 30g of peppercorns, toasted them as instructed and later ground them (finely instead of coarsely, granted). I separated 6g (3 x 2g) aside as instructed, and then used half of the remaining 24g, which looked like a lot still. Is it the kind of pepper that is the issue (i.e. Sarawak is much milder)? Or was I only meant to use the 3 x 2g listed in parentheses?

Here are the instances the recipe mentions pepper:

10 g Whole Sarawak Black Peppercorns (2 g Freshly Ground Pepper)

  1. Dry-roast the black peppercorns in a small frying pan over low heat, swirling until very fragrant (approximately 4–5 minutes). Cool then coarsely grind, preferably with a mortar and pestle, and set aside 2 g of the ground pepper.

  2. Add in the freshly ground coarse black pepper and whisk the mixture into a paste.

  3. Plate on the warmed dishes and top with pecorino Romano and freshly ground black pepper.

submitted by /u/Inside-Respect2978
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/JIdNY3f

Comments