Is broth always brown and smelly?

I have stock many times, I usually use chicken feet, wingtips, and some carcasses, parboil them throw the water and scum and then low and slow for... Well until the bones are kinda sponges. It always smell chickeny when I start filtering. But always looks well brown and cloudy specially brown if I roast the tips before the simmering time. I am a home cook and have a small fridge so I almost never keep stuck as it is, I just reduce it until I can make "broth ice cubes" after filtering.

Questions are, 1. Why I have never saw a clear yellowy broth? (Is it another technique or a marketing thing?) 2. Do I cook it too long? (Usually low and slow 6-8hrs, sometimes longer) 3. Also, why it start to smell less chickeny and more like a slightly pungent animal flavour when I slowly reduce it?

Pd. Similar results with beef stock, pork and lamb.

submitted by /u/Wiz718
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/AK1bRe9

Comments