Pot Pie for Pi Day - Adding veg during or after roux?

Hi Chefs! I would ask this in r/Cooking but they seem to be all over the place with technique.

I am making a chicken pot pie from scratch. I have homemade pie crust in the freezer, freshly poached chicken breasts, and a bunch of chopped raw veggies (carrot/onion/celery, fennel, broccoli, cauliflower).

I know what I'm doing for the most part, but I keep getting differing opinions with online recipes on when to add the veggies during the roux/sauce step.

  • Should I do butter > flour > veg > stock?
  • Or butter > veg > flour > stock?
  • Or butter > aromatic veg ONLY (celery onion carrot) > flour > stock? THEN add the cruciferous veg?
  • Or should I do butter > flour > stock then add ALL veg and have them soften a bit in the sauce?

Either way, I'll add the chicken in the last step since it's cooked already. I just don't want to have raw-ish broccoli and cauliflower in my pot pie, nor do I want to hinder the thickening power of the roux by adding watery veg.

Thoughts?

submitted by /u/Moneypenny_Dreadful
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/DhX8LwH

Comments