What is the proper technique when cooking Brown Rice?

I have cooked brown rice with random success, so I'm looking for advice and tips so I don't have to rely on a rice cooker.

  • We wash brown rice to "wash the something" off of it. Does this help it cook better or change the taste quality significantly?
  • Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice. What are the steps to making a good batch of brown rice/what is the proper cook time?
  • I use Long Grain Brown rice and find it much harder to make right at home than any other brand I have tried. The bag says 2 cups of water for every cup of rice, put the rice and water in at the same time, boil, reduce to low.
    • I was originally taught to boil the water before adding white rice and assumed the same applied to brown rice.
    • I have tried throwing an excessive amount of water and boiling the rice. This has worked, but I haven't isolated a cook time, and it is inefficient. I would rather have a time/measurement.
  • My brown rice typically is either burnt or mushy/pudding-like. I've adjusted from 2 cups to a little more or a little less, adjusted the time randomly and had it come out decent/good without really being sure what the proper technique was.
submitted by /u/DullahanJake
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/eiQCRhJ

Comments