What if you don't want fall-off-the-bone ribs?

I make ribs how my mom made ribs: score membrane, apply mustard, dry rub, in the oven at 275 for 3 hours, brush BBQ sauce atop and broil for 5 minutes. It always turns out tasty and it's next to impossible to pick up without literally falling off the bone.

My parents would eat standing up at the counter so they can eat ribs right out of the baking sheet than worrying about them falling apart when transferring to a plate.

But I had ribs recently done on a BBQ and while it was tender, you needed a little effort to rip the meat off the bones. It had a very nice crust which kept it together, completely unlike the "wet" ribs I'm used to.

I asked my friend who made the ribs, he said he starts like I do with mustard and a spice rub, but he cooks it on low indirect heat on his grill for 5-6 hours. He also pre-separates each rib and stacks them in a pyramid, alternating which is on bottom and which is on top when he spritzes with apple juice every half an hour.

I don't have a grill, so how can I get that in an oven? It doesn't necessarily need to be his recipe, I just like the idea of ribs that you can pick up and have a nice crispy exterior.

submitted by /u/Icy-Reserve6995
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/ICAn6kO

Comments