Leftover steamed rice from restaurant vs home cooked

(I'm not interested in discussing the food safety aspect of eating leftover rice here, there's more than enough info on that to come to whatever conclusion you want to for yourself.)

I've noticed recently that when I get steamed white rice from a restaurant (e.g. a typical Chinese restaurant in America), the leftover rice is quite mosit and soft the next day, in a good way. But when I make white rice myself, the leftovers are fairly dry and hard the next day. Ultimately this is a minimal difference; I either reheat it with other leftovers or use it for cooking fried rice, and both consistencies of rice work fine for that. But in general I prefer the softer texture of the next-day restaurant rice.

Are restaurants doing something I'm not? Or am I doing something they're not? What's the source of this?

At home my process is: - Grocery store brand long grain white rice - Rinsed several times until the water is "clear" (is it ever truly clear? Of course not) - Cooked in a dead-basic Oster rice cooker - Unplugged, then scooped into Tupperware an hour or so later when I clean up the kitchen after eating

submitted by /u/Merlin820
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/SgIwPFy

Comments