Can I replicate traditional oven roast duck with a single breast?

Apologies in advance if this question is dumb in ten different ways. I tend to overthink cooking.

Not strictly necessary back story:

I bought two large ducks at Christmas with the intention of roasting them in the oven. But, never having roasted a whole duck before, I chickened out (unintentional wordplay sorry) on Christmas day and did what I always do with duck - took the breasts off and pan roasted them. This was a mistake. I usually buy ducks earlier in the year, and these breasts proved to be too big and (probably) too old to successfully pan roast. You live and learn. Anyway, I only used three of the breasts, storing the remaining one in the freezer. I regret all this now, and am left with the frustration of still never attempting to roast a whole duck.

My question:

Can I roast the single breast in the oven in a way that will give me some idea of what it's like to roast a whole bird? If I follow one of the techniques for roasting whole duck online is this a dumb idea? The reason I've never had the guts to roast a whole bird is I don't understand how the breasts don't dry out. Also, I really love rare duck breast. But can I use the singe breast to experiment and see what well roasted/well done breast is like? Like I said, this is a large breast that will easily feed two.

submitted by /u/Original-Carpet2451
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/mUx9lQj

Comments