Locust bean gum + milk, how to stop getting small gelatinous blobs?

Hi! Short story… I’m looking for advice on how to stop getting small, clear, gelatinous clumps using locust bean gum as a thickener in infant formula.

More background 🤪 I was using Gelmix (an infant formula and breastmilk thickener) that’s made of tapioca maltodextrin, locust bean gum, calcium carbonate in my baby’s formula for reflux. It works great! But it’s expensive :/

I met a lady who’s been using just plain locust bean gum instead and I tried it out, adding 1/8 teaspoon to 6oz of 100F baby formula. It gives it the same thin nectar consistency (think completely melted milkshake) but there are tiny, clear, gelatinous blobs that clog up the bottle nipple. LBG is used in Gelmix, Carobel (UK infant thickener), and European reflux formulas.

Is there a way to stop the clumps from forming in the first place? Add it to hotter water (and obvi cool before feeding)? Add the LBG and formula powder at the same time? My hot water machine can keep water heated up to 158F. I use LBG from Modernist Pantry.

I follow Gelmix’s instructions which are: Add powder to 100F liquid. Shake well. Wait 5-10min till desired thickness and shake again just before feeding.

submitted by /u/MyDogTakesXanax
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/AtiQjkZ

Comments