Adjusting baking time - volume and surface area

For my husband's birthday, I usually make this cake recipe. It makes about 47 ounces of batter by weight, and you bake it as two 9" layers at 350°F for 28-30 minutes. It's often just the two of us, and I thought to adjust this recipe down to make two 6" layers so we don't have so much cake left over. According to a formula I found online, I want 24 oz batter for two 6" rounds, so I halved the recipe to yield 23.5 oz batter, almost the perfect amount. The surface area of the two 6" pans is almost exactly half (44%) of what the surface area of the two 9" pans was, so the depth of the batter should be almost the same, just a tiny bit deeper in the small pans. Will the cooking time be about the same? Just looking for an estimate so I know when to start checking it.

Thank you,

Jess

submitted by /u/jvanderh
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/MomQsb2

Comments