Why did my roast duck taste like iron?

I make a whole roast duck fairly regularly and it's always great. Last week, I used my usual recipe and the meat had a surprisingly strong iron taste. The breast meat was almost like eating chicken livers (which sucks because I hate liver) and was not as juicy as duck usually is.

Cooking process: crosshatch cuts through the skin, seasoned with herbs and salt, and shoved a quartered onion inside it because I didn't have any garlic heads. I then placed the bird breast-up in a cast iron pan in a 300°F oven. After an hour I pulled it out, pricked the skin all over with a fork to drain the excess fat, and flipped the bird. It baked for another hour, was pricked and flipped again, and went back for 30 min. I then broiled the bird for crispy brown skin. When I checked the temperature, it was just under 175°F before broiling and a few degrees over when I pulled it out. I then let it rest 10min before carving.

Differences that may matter:

  • I used our brand new oven which is a convection oven; I did not use convection bake but it still seemed to run hotter than it should

  • I was rushing while cutting the cross thatches in the skin so it's possible I nicked the meat

  • The legs were not as wiggly as usual when the bird was cooked. No idea why, but I found that weird

  • I couldn't find my instant read/digital thermometer so I had to rely on an old physical thermometer which may not have been as accurate

My impression was that the duck was overcooked, but that seems so strange to me when the thermometer read the same temperature as always. I also don't understand how overcooking it would make it taste like iron.

Please help! I don't want my next duck to taste this way, I was going to make another for NYE.

Edit: fixed typos

(Also, does anyone else's phone correct "duck" to "fuck" instead of the other way around?)

submitted by /u/thoughtandprayer
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/NMplaBo

Comments