When to stop thickening a glaze?

The first time that I made a glaze I pulled it off when it was the perfect consistency, not too thin nor thick, but after it cooled I could barely stick a fork into it. It was like hard candy. So the next time I made glaze I pulled it off to cool when it was still partially like a liquid. Again I had to add water to thin it up afterwards. This last time I made glaze it was completely a liquid, with only a very small amount of resistance when I pulled it. It was 5 cups pomegranate juice and 1 1/4 cup brown sugar for reference and had been simmering for just over 2 hours. After cooling though it was almost too difficult to stick a utensil into it.

Anywho my question is, is there a definite point at which you're supposed to take a glaze off of the heat?

My only guess is that I'm supposed to take it off long before I am. I'm just not sure when that is as it's a almost complete liquid when I pull it off. I've been trying to go off of consistency rather than time

Thank you for your time!

submitted by /u/soothingmeadow
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/GWzVr89

Comments