Chicken stock issues

I've tried twice and both times it has come out borderline inedible. I use frozen chicken bones from the butcher (necks and backs), straight into the pot with a mix of carrots, onions, and some celery then cover with water. Add in some whole peppercorns and a bay leaf or two. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer and skim intermittently and carry on for about 3-4 hours. The end result is very very vegetal and a bit bitter. I blamed the celery the first time (I didn't follow a specific recipe but followed Kenji's video for proportions) so the next time I followed Samin Nosrat's recipe from the NYT Cooking app. Same issue again, super vegetal and not really edible.

Anyone have an idea what the issue is? Am I using the wrong chicken parts? Stock seems like it should be so simple yet here I am.

submitted by /u/thesnackslayer
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/X8HmMd7

Comments