Are there opportune times to put things in to make stock, or I can start with everything?

I like to make broths by taking scrap vegetables and simmering them in some water with sauces, herbs, spices, then straining. Does it matter when I put these ingredients in? I know with citrus, you want to add that close to the end of cooking because heat kills any citrus flavors. Anything like that I should be concerned about?

My go-to is take rinsed onion, carrot, celery, mushroom scraps, brown a little in a touch of oil, then add gochujang and cracked pepper. Once a fond appears, I deglaze with water, add a chicken cube, bring to boil, then taper to a simmer. Then I add the greens of some scallions, some soy sauce, a pinch of brown sugar, a crushed up sheet of seaweed, and fish oil. I'll stew it all for an hour before straining.

I love the taste, especially as a basis for soups, but I'm not terribly experienced with making broths or steeping veggies to get their flavor out. I don't know if I should, for example, hold the fish oil until serving, or space out when I put the scraps in. If heat can kill citrus flavors, I wonder if a prolonged cook on other things also has a (negative) effect.

Any tips?

submitted by /u/stratzilla
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/nPb4DUf

Comments