Troubleshooting lobster stew recipe

Hi all, first-time poster here! I’m often on r/Cooking, but this sub seemed more appropriate for my question. I’ve been trying to crack a lobster stew recipe, specifically trying to recreate the recipe from Jordan Pond House in Bar Harbor. They’ve published a base recipe that I work off of, https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2012/06/dining-parks-lobster-stew-jordan-pond-house-acadia-national-park9756 , but the recipe is clearly incomplete (e.g., no instructions on what to do with the sherry in the ingredient list), and i frankly don’t trust that they gave out the complete, exact recipe anyway.

I admit I’m still messing around with the taste (trying the sherry to deglaze the pan vs. adding it at the end, increasing the amount of lobster base, etc.), but my real problem is the texture. It’s too thin, which I could rectify with a thickening agent, but it also seems like all the flavor separates out to sit on the top once the milk/cream is added. (Basically, the recipe calls for the lobster base to be sautéed with butter and seasonings, then scalded milk/cream is added.) I suspect these issues are related, but they may not be. Either way, the first few bites are delicious, near perfect, but by the end of a small bowl it tastes and feels a bit like cereal milk.

As you can see in this example image, the butter/base ingredients (the orange spots) are not supposed to be fully blended into the milk like in a bisque, but I recently visited Jordon Pond House again and confirmed they are able to get the flavor of those ingredients to hang throughout the soup, not just the top layer: https://images.app.goo.gl/DuC7oL73BE3JCBCw6 (And the orange spots are consistently apparent throughout the bowl as you eat—unlike my attempts, where the orange is less and less apparent as I get to the bottom.)

Any ideas on why the flavor won’t disperse throughout my stew? I’ve tried simmering the whole thing for a time after adding the milk, and that helps thicken it but doesn’t really help the flavor dispersal. Any general knowledge on milk science or specific tricks for this particular recipe would be much appreciated!

submitted by /u/harmcharm77
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/jDoSe7k

Comments