Toffee Separating

I am at my wits end. I have been making toffee for the last 6-7 years. I have at best a 50% success rate wherein the mixture actually holds together.

I feel like I've tried everything. Constant stirring. No stirring. Adding water. Adding corn syrup. Adding lecithin. Using a 4qt dutch oven to ensure a heavy bottom. Nothing seems to matter.

With my most recent batch everything separated as soon as I added vanilla extract and baking soda after removing the toffee from heat. I didn't even bother to add a tablespoon of hot water + stirring to try to bring it back together.

I used to give toffee away each Christmas. But now I'm considering just abandoning this enterprise all together. The variance in instruction from one recipe to the next (constant stirring v no stirring) just doesn't make sense.

Please help.

submitted by /u/MrBallistik
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/vGX6P4j

Comments