Is internet connectivity a worthwhile feature to have on an induction stove?

I'm currently in the market for an induction hob, and some of the models I'm considering, by Siemens, have home connectivity as a feature. Although it is not a feature I care for, it would seem it is one of the major reasons why they are considerably more expensive. These are the main concerns I have about it:

1) IT'S IMPRACTICAL: It Takes Longer to Do Simple Tasks

Though more and more home appliances have Internet connectivity, to me, it sounds very impractical, especially for a stove. I feel like it would slow me down when I cook. And I'm just a regular person. I'm not a professional cook by any means.

2) IT'S PRIVACY INVASIVE

I also care about my privacy, and don't like the idea of my stove collecting data on how I use it.

3) IT'S POTENTIALLY SCAMMY

I've become increasingly aware of the fact that a lot of manufacturers of devices and appliances that connect to the internet, will engage in scammy practices by disabling features that you already paid for and were guaranteed at purchase. They do this to get more money out of you, often to compel you to sign up to their subscription service, just to re-enable a feature you already paid for and were already using. I hate that.

If I buy an induction stove with home connectivity, I know I'm not going to use that feature. However, I'm afraid that even if I don't use it, at some point in the future, I may not be able to use non-internet features I like, because the manufacturer will require me to connect to the internet in order to re-enable them.

Has anyone here actually used this feature on their stoves? And if yes, what's been your experience? Are you concerned at all about the privacy and scammy issues I've raised?

I would appreciate your feedback as it would help me make my decision.

Thank you.

submitted by /u/CPT-812
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/1HiayRl

Comments