What is the name for this cooking technique?

Often times when I am sauteing something, I will start cooking the item on high heat with oil/butter but then when I'm satisfied with the sear or if I'm worried the spices in the pan are starting to burn, I'll add a half cup or so of water, allowing the item to "finish" cooking via steaming/blanching. Sometimes I cover the pan but sometimes I just leave it uncovered. I find that the water and steam help cook certain foods more evenly or more thoroughly without worrying about burning spices or searing the food too harshly if that makes sense. Idk why or when I started doing this, I just noticed it helps sometimes and am curious to know if this is a viable technique.

An example is broccolini or asparagus or similar veggies. I often will not blanch beforehand, rather will throw them into a hot pan and get some good sear marks, and then add some water and let it steam off to help "finish" cooking them.

I also do this with country style breakfast potatoes. I cook them on high heat until I start to see some browning and color, but at that point the potatoes usually still have a bite to them so I finish cooking with water.

submitted by /u/Fessywessy1
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/kiFZNHj

Comments