How do you keep your kitchen aesthetic if you use it?

My roommates’ area of the kitchen looks like an instagram post, and I’m embarrassed when people come over or when I look at them in comparison.

To be fair, she eats out almost all the time and doesn’t bring back takeout. I’ve only ever seen her eat toast, deli meats, and juice. And that is all her side of the fridge has.

Meanwhile my side is basically exploding. I clean it out every week and a half and there’s nothing old but I make everything from scratch and don’t label because I know what things are and from when. Yogurt. Panna cotta. Jelly. Gummies. Muffins, Mayo, sauce bases, Salad. Meat. Leftovers, etc. I also eat out but basically only if the place is quite remarkable.

I develop recipes for clients with dietary restrictions sometimes so I have probably 10 types of flour, bulk herbs and spices, dry beans, etc. different plates for photographing, spoons for different types of food, etc. I basically only have duplicates of bench scrapers, offset spatulas, and strainers but it’s still a lot and the daily stuff is within reach, not in a high cabinet.

Some stuff seems obvious- like buying spices in the little glass jars but I get those from cultural stores or online vendors for fair trade and freshness and buy in large bags because I go through them very quickly.

I pride myself in a clean, organised space and my kitchen is… not that. How do you keep an organised, aesthetic space if you cook a lot and with a lot of variety?

If the clutter is a given, how do you make peace with your kitchen not looking like an Instagram post?

submitted by /u/Fearless-Wishbone-31
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/zukd5x2

Comments