Grainy Mashed Potatoes

The last couple times I've made mashed potatoes they have turned out "grainy" and lacked that smooth and consistent mouthfeel that activates my dopamine receptors. I've made them many times in the past and have always followed the same procedure so I'm currently at a loss for what is causing this. Here's what I usually do - Yukon Gold Potatoes cut into cubes ~1.5in, med. boil untill a knife passes smoothly through the center (~45min), drain/dry and send through a ricer, add salt, butter, milk and quickly bring together with a wire whisk.

The only thing I can think of so far is that I was either using potatoes which were a bit past their prime or possibly over boiling? Could a grainy texture/mouthfeel be a symptom of either of these things - or does anyone have any suggestions that I'm too blind to see haha - thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/BoredByLore
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/AQdwirb

Comments