Evaporated Whey ?

I’ve been making a lot of soft cheeses and yogurt, and therefore end up with a lot of sour whey. I’ve read all the typical suggestions for how to use it, but frankly, I don’t bake that much, and the sour aspect makes it hard to incorporate into other recipes.

I had a brilliant idea to evaporate the whey, in order to concentrate the goodness, more as a curiosity than anything. I poured about 20 ounces of fluid into my instant pot, set it to 170, and let it cook for a few hours with the lid off. The result is something very unexpected! White sludge that has a very peculiar flavor. It’s a little bit sour, a little bit sweet, definitely has after notes of the apple cider vinegar I used to create the curds in the first place. I don’t think I could eat it straight, the taste is just too strong.

Any advice on how I can use this substance in cooking? It has the consistency of melted butter, but with some chunks of protein too.

submitted by /u/Sad-Fail-5337
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/6QVLfwJ

Comments