Can Slightly Undercooked Chicken be Saved?

Ok, I'll preface this by saying that I am just going to throw the chicken out because I can't be sure and don't want to roll any dice, but the situation came up and so I thought I would ask.

Last night I had a brain fart and roasted a whole spatchcocked chicken to 145F in the thickest part of the breast. I've seen the tables, and so I know that if you hold the meat at 145F for 5-10 minutes (different tables have different times) the meat will be pasteurized and safe to eat. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee how long it stayed at 145F.

What I do know is this: 1. The meat definitely hit a minimum of 145F (likely higher). 2. The thickest part of the legs hit 185F+ (I know I know... Cook was really uneven... I was roasting HOT and on a rack, cause I have a toddler and a newborn, and no time, so I was cooking at 1am...). 3. After coming out of the oven the meat sat on the counter for at least 30 mins before I put it in the fridge (ie I didn't chill it right away) 4. The meat has been in the fridge since I put it in there last night.

My guess is that the meat is probably fine? (though again, I'm tossing it and definitely not feeding it to the toddler) However, my question is this. It's now 5 pm the next day. Is there anything I could do now to make it as safe to eat as if I had just cooked it properly? If you google "partially cooked chicken", you get a bunch of results talking about browing the outside but leaving the inside mostly raw. That is not the case here. The meat was almost completely cooked, and in fact, it probably was completely cooked. What I'm looking for is more or less an insurance policy. Something that will allow me to say, "I didn't quite get it over the line yesterday, but what I've done now makes it safe to eat"

submitted by /u/Utilitygradeduck
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/eHXvuBz

Comments