Monkfish membrane

I picked up what I thought were cleaned monkfish loins, but apparently it was only deboned and skinned. When I thawed them out there was an extreme fishy odor. The flesh felt okay so I messaged the seller about it and he said that i needed to still remove the grey membrane from the loins and that was why they smelled.

The membrane was transparent and slightly grey, colored similarly to a shrimp shell. Mildly slimy feeling. I started trying to pull it and it was attached throughout. Pulling was starting to shred the loin, so I grabbed a knife and tried to cut it off carefully but it was so attached to the flesh. I finally got most of it off but had to fix the cut quite a bit to get nice medallions.

How can I do this better in the future?

submitted by /u/ccruinedmylife
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/EU7JLe1

Comments