Sushi rice troubleshooting

Hello! I recently bought a 15-pound sack of short grain rice for sushi and onigiri, but I've been having some trouble getting it just right. It tends to be a little too mushy and also sticks to the bottom of my rice cooker. I've had my rice cooker for years and use it several times a week, and I've never had this trouble with any other types of rice. Does anyone have any tips?

Some info on how I'm making the rice:

  • I rinse it until clear
  • I soak it for at least 15 minutes
  • I use a rice cooker
  • I plop the cooked rice onto a shallow pan and gently fold in my sushi vinegar and/or seasonings while it's still steaming hot

Here are my general questions:

  • Should I try using less water in my rice cooker? (I've been using the same rice:water proportions as with other types of rice in this same cooker.)
  • Is it normal to have a layer of short grain/sushi rice stick to the bottom of your rice cooker?
  • Should I be able to discern individual rice grains once cooked? (As it is, they tend to mush together.)

The rice I've been making is still perfectly edible and worked fine for sushi earlier. I just feel like it could be better, ya know?

Thanks a million!

submitted by /u/gretchl3r
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/DRebOP0

Comments