Question regarding Wagyu tallow and making my own ground beef burgers.

So, to start, I know that in America, Wagyu isn't a protected term, and it could refer to any number of crossbred cattle with some percentage of Wagyu lineage. I know that the "Real deal" comes from Japan only (though Australia has a decent grading system in place, too).

That said - I know that getting wagyu tallow is somewhat easier to do. I have also heard that Wagyu fat has some unique properties (such as a lower melting point and a unique flavor). I also know that fat is where most of the beefy flavor we perceive comes from - this is why Filet Mignon is often less beefy than, say, a strip steak.

So that all said - would it be possible to make faux wagyu burgers by buying and freezing some wagyu tallow, mincing it into a pebbly consistency, and then finally mixing that into some 99% lean american ground beef?

Obviously it's possible in the sense that I could literally do it, but would the resulting burger have the beefy wagyu flavor without having to literally get real ground wagyu? Or is there something more at play preventing this strategy from working?

I ask because it seems like an obvious way to make some real banger burgers, but the fact that it isn't being done regularly already makes me think there's some reason it wouldn't work - I just can't for the life of me think of why.

submitted by /u/BeyondElectricDreams
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/xTAGg7k

Comments