Is it worth doing a Wellington with the head of the fillet?

I am a vegetarian of 10+ years so I'm not really familiar with the various cuts of meat. I'll be cooking a Wellington this weekend for my mum's birthday. At my local butcher I asked for a 1kg steak fillet (I'm in the EU) and specifically said it was for a beef Wellington. When I got it home I soon realised I'd been given the head portion, and it had a lot of silverskin and connective tissue as well.

I gave a stab at prepping it for the Wellington with my limited experience with meat, I got all the silverskin off anyway and I've ended up with a fairly cylindrical peice of meat when it's tied but it does have that gap at one end where the top of the fillet ends.

Anyway, has anyone had success doing a Wellington with this cut of meat? Or should I really try and get a tenderloin centre cut/chateubriand tomorrow? I'm mainly worried about any tough connective tissue at the head end I might've missed. I'm not too worried about the Wellington cooking at different rates as I'll have different people who will want different done-ness on their slice anyway - I'll aim for medium rare at the centre.

Cheers!

submitted by /u/TeleAlex
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2lKLbi8

Comments