I cannot for the life of me get my lekue rice cooker to work

I came across a Reddit thread about a year ago praising this thing to high heaven. I thought "cool, rice in half the time? Sign me up!". The directions state to cook x amount of rice for y amount of time, fluff it with a fork, let sit for 3 minutes, and you're good.

Results have been...extremely poor. They recommend an 800 watt microwave. Mine is 1000. I found a conversion chart, then followed this chart.

Using conversion chart, rice uncooked and about ¾ inch water.

Did not follow conversion chart, same result but about ½ inch of water.

Went for 2 minutes longer than recommended, same result.

Went for 2 minutes longer than recommended, let sit for 3 minutes, fluffed, same result.

I'm coming some right now at 4 minutes longer, we'll see.

Literally the only time it's ever worked was when I cooked it, fluffed it, and then forgot about it for about 15 minutes. But at that point, why wouldn't I just use my normal stove top way?

Is it because I'm in Denver, at 5200 ft of elevation? Is it my microwave not being as good as it says it's supposed to be on the label? Is this device just complete bullshit and I fell for some guerilla marketing? Was an entire Reddit thread making a joke that I didn't get?

I literally bought a new bag of rice this morning to keep trying variations since my wife was getting mad I'm using all her rice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: here is the result from cooking brown rice for 24 minutes, fluff, cover for 3 minutes. Still standing water, but only minimal. My microwave has begun to hate me

submitted by /u/stumblinghunter
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2tw6jhn

Comments