Croissant Layer Questions

I have a pretty lengthy question about the number of folds in making croissants.

Note that I used this calculator for the number of layers in the discussion below: https://observablehq.com/@mourner/laminated-dough-calculator

I have made croissants many times, experimenting with the amount of folds. I generally follow Claire Saffitz's recipe and it has turned out very well but I've varied the types of folds I've been doing.

In most of the croissant recipes I've seen (including Claire), they enclose the butter block (so its dough-butter-dough), then a book fold and then letter fold. When I do this I get extremely defined layers after baking but they seem thick to me. I calculated this would be 25 layers (13 dough and 12 butter layers). I'm able to count each individual layer in the croissant I made and it lines up. However each layer seems thicker than ideal.

A picture of the kind of thick layers I get are like in this example I saw online:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/530e4e29e4b0ac922f793833/1431686387471-8EZQMPUOT0UQ5YVX3T0Y/au-levain-du-marais-croissant-side.jpg?format=2500w

In my other croissant bakes, I have had much more success with enclosing butter block --> two book folds. I've also had success with enclosing butter block --> two book folds and a letter fold (which would be 97 layers). I felt like I got better texture with more folds than all the recipes I see online.

I was reading a traditional French croissant is 55 layers - why are most recipes online less layers than this?

Am I calculating incorrectly or misinterpreting the recipes? Is it just my personal preference? Thank you in advance for the advice!

submitted by /u/KiwiPanda7
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/qGk0AtH

Comments