I made a sauce that has separated, what can I do to emulsify it?

Heya folks! I believe I could use some advice!

Is there a common household ingredient I could add to my sauce, that will keep it from breaking apart?

I'm going to sous-vide a big chunk of lamb today/tomorrow! Yum!

I had a bunch of fresh mint leaves leftover from a previous project, material that was going to expire unless I figured out a way to use it... HMMM!

I tossed the mint into my Vitamix blender with some sweet fruit vinegar I'd made, a pinch of salt, a splish of olive oil, and a dollop or two of tamarind paste for tang. Then I blended it all together until it looked uniform and emulsified.

Well, it's a day or two later and it's separated, and the oil appears to have hardened into a predictable crust on top (it's been in the fridge). The bottom looks watery and clear, while the top cloudy and solid. No biggie, I figured... I'll let it get back to room temp and then blend/mix it again before serving, should be fine...

But then I got to thinking, maybe I should add a dollop or two of mustard to the sauce before mixing it up again? I've heard mustard is a good natural emulsifier, and I'm definitely going to have leftover mint sauce.

So the question is -

Is there a common household ingredient I could add to my impromptu mint sauce, that will keep it from breaking apart in the fridge? One that won't radically alter the sweet/tangy/minty thing I'm trying to cultivate?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Addtrack
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/eQtVClq

Comments