How dark should brittle be?

I'm making brittle (Fany Gerson's Palanquetas to be exact), and she says to mix the sugar, water, corn syrup, and butter in a pot and stir and cook it until it comes to a boil. Then you add the nuts and let it cook until it turns a golden caramel color.

I assumed this would be the same color as regular caramel. I was waiting for it to turn darker, but it didn't seem like it would get any darker than the color of dulce de leche, and I started to smell a bit of burning so I think I misunderstood.

Is it supposed to be a light tan color like that or is it supposed to be dark like when your cooking regular caramel?

Also, am I supposed I keep stirring once I add the nuts or will it crystalize?

submitted by /u/frostmas
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/Sgncda0

Comments