Advice for re-creating tender cabbage wedges

Hello!! I've reviewed the rules and I think this is a technical/ specific enough question to ask here.

I was recently visiting Montreal and s had really fantastic dish that I'm trying to recreate now that I'm back home in the US. (Mentioning that I had it in Montreal in case this is a French influence/ a regional thing.)

For lunch, I was given a cooked wedge of cabbage, covered in cheese, that was incredibly tender. It wasn't a typical wedge I've seen before, meaning a sixth or an eighth of a cabbage, it looked more like it was an intact quarter of a small cabbage.

You could easily cut through the whole thing and it was melt-in,-your-mouth tender without being mushy at all. I've never had a cabbage cooked anywhere near this. The restaurant doesn't have an online menu, it just says that it changes weekly, So on it's off hours, when I'm posting this, I can't try to get specific terms.

I tried searching online and some of my cookbooks for cabbage wedges, but I'm finding much smaller segments that are roasted and look like they're getting crisped up, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if they were cooked at a lower temperature, or maybe braised first?

Thank you for any suggestions on the technique I should be searching for/ recipes you may know of. I don't usually eat much cabbage, but this could really convert me.

submitted by /u/LaurelThornberry
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/Ib1NaYH

Comments