What should I cook vegan carnitas in?

Hello all,

I've been cooking for over 12 years (as an amateur), and I've recently made the switch to vegetarianism. One food I really miss is carnitas, and I'm experimenting with jackfruit to replicate carnitas. The question is: what should I cook them in (about 1 1/2 lbs. Total jackfruit)? I was wondering if shortening or corn oil would work. My thoughts on corn oil is that it offers a better flavor, but shortening is used as a vegan lard substitute a lot. My other thought was that because canned jackfruit is a plant, would it just get mushy if I fried it wish a dusting of flour, or would it get a bit crisper if I just cooked it in a pan with some oil?

Update: I drained the jackfruit and added enough flour that it didn't stick to the side of my mixing bowl, then shallow fried it. The texture was a little mushy, but those were parts I didn't get coated very well, as most of it was reasonably crispy. All in all, I'm satisfied with how close I got to carnitas, especially given that I deep fried an already mushy fruit. One thing I'd do differently is omit the vinegar in the marinade, and let the natural tang of the jackfruit do its thing.

submitted by /u/Ihaventasnoo
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/I47ouXC

Comments