Specific bones for beef broth

I made beef broth using whatever beef bones I had frozen, bought as a variety package at a butcher. I used approximately 4-5 pounds of bones for an eight quart beef barley soup. I roasted the bones at 425F for about 50 minutes and they were nicely charred. Seasoned as usual including a good amount of salt, dried mushroom powder and other umami flavors. I refrigerated the broth two days with the bones left in. While cold it had a very thick layer of fat and nice jello consistency. I strained it using cheesecloth and it was beautifully clear. But the beefy flavor was flat. I am blaming this on my arbitrary choice of bones. The bones were not meaty but did have a lot of collagen. I did pan char a uncut six pound chuck roast then cut it up and add to the broth and cooked it slowly for two hours before adding veggies and barley. So I blame the flat taste on my arbitrary chosen choice of bones. So, I am asking….. without breaking the bank, what specific bones do you use, and how many pounds for say a six quart soup? Thanks for your advice!

submitted by /u/Melodic_Membership75
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/SYH31OF

Comments