Nashville hot chicken: pickle brine vs dry brine vs buttermilk? Veg vs peanut vs lard for oil?

I have two decisions I cannot make up my mind on, and would hope for some input if you have any as opposed to me experimenting like 20 combinations.

This is for boneless, skinless, air-chilled chicken thighs because they are going to be served as a sandwich.

Brine choices are between A) pickle juice warmed up enough to dissolve a bit of sugar in it, B) dry brine of salt and pepper, C) marinade in buttermilk + hot sauce + egg

Note: if I choose option A or B, I will still use the C mixture in the breading process.

Oil choices are A) fry in full peanut oil, then make the brush-on hot oil with melted lard and spices, B) fry in a mix of veg oil and lard and make the brush-on hot oil with some of the frying oil, C) no lard, just fry in veg or peanut oil and use butter for the spiced brushing sauce.

oh and also the ratio for flour to corn starch - I have seen anywhere between 2:1 up to 8:1.

bonus question: dill pickles or sweet pickles on the sandwich?

submitted by /u/3erfvbyh
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/s6lfbAZ

Comments