Quick, low sugar, merengue advice

Hi,

Very regularly I make hollandaise sauce. I’ve got a spinach/salmon Benedict routine that I make most Sundays, that takes me under 40 minutes from bed to eating with a clean kitchen, that requires very minimal cleanup, so my kitchen often ends up cleaner than when I start. It’s a bit a of a humble brag, but the point is, I’ve gotten all the steps so they’re really low effort and easy.

But I always have left over egg whites from the hollandaise, that I seem to just waste. The forethought required to freeze or save them for the future is too much for me, I’ll never do it.

I’ve made merengues with the whites before, but it’s such a faff. Whipping up the whites and making the merengue isn’t too bad, just one extra bowl, but having to keep track of the merengues in the oven is a pain for a scatterbrain like me. Especially if I want to go out after breakfast and do something, leaving merengues in the oven that I always forget about.

I’ve seen videos of people making them in the microwave, but I’ve not been able to recreate that. They always turn into a sticky mess for me.

Additionally, I try not to eat too much sugar, and sometimes a cook for keto people, so I’ve tried to make 0 carb merengues before using xylitol instead of sugar, but those also turned into a sticky mess, even doing it the long way in the oven on low.

I’m looking for some merengue expertise that can tell me the best ways to make the merengues quickly, and if anyone knows how to get them to set with no sugar.

submitted by /u/venuswasaflytrap
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/L9O15BI

Comments