Heating nonstick (Tramontina) for 45 minutes - should I junk it?

Earlier today I was cooking around medium low heat and forgot to turn off the burner after putting the empty skillet back on the stove. I only noticed after 45 minutes when I returned to clean it. There was no smoking, and no fumes. The food residue left in the pan (eggs) was still yellow, with only some browning, nothing had burned on. The pan cleaned up easily.

The skillet is a nonstick Tramontina Professional that is rated up to 500F, but I'm concerned about the duration it was left at. I did a quick test with a temperature probe and the flame itself could have gotten up to around 500F, but the pan off the surface was nowhere near that. I also tested frying an egg with a drop of oil wiped around the pan and it slid around without much resistance.

In terms of potential health hazards from this, should I be concerned? Better to be safe than sorry and throw it out, or would it be noticeable if the coating had degraded at all?

submitted by /u/Chiethe
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/MFTv9U0

Comments