Question: Heat, butter, mercury test

Hi all. Just started cooking with stainless steel pans and loving it. I do have a couple of questions:

  1. I always do the Mercury test and once its bouncing around the pan, I lower the heat just a bit. At first I put a thin layer of avocado oil and then a little butter before I fried up eggs and they came out great.

Today, I did the test to get the temp right, then only used butter. But this time, it started to change color really fast and smoke. I’m wondering if that’s because the pan was on for too long? Or do I need to reduce the temp even more considering the water drop test was perfect. Not sure if that would be too low then.

  1. I’m noticing some staining on the pan and I’ve tried soap and soft sponge but still seems to be there. I admittedly have to do more research on this subreddit but was hoping for any advice since I’m already posting.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/FilthyUnicorns
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/mzJiea4

Comments