Looking to branch out with my curries

I'm looking for advice on making curries with different flavor profiles.

My go-to recipe centers around almond milk, tomato paste, and curry powder picked up from the bulk bin at my local grocery store. The ingredients of that curry powder are Coriander, Turmeric, Cumin, Ginger, Fennel Seed, Cinnamon, Fenugreek, nutmeg, cardamon, gloves, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Would this qualify it as an indian-style curry?

I'm wondering about creating a more Thai-style curry, and have questions:

  • What's the difference between using the spices and using a curry paste? What are the pro/cons of each?
  • Would simply replacing almond milk with coconut milk, nixing the tomato paste, and replacing my current curry spice mix with some Thai spices be my best bet?
  • What are your general suggestions for exploring different kinds of curries?
submitted by /u/RusticBohemian
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/9GYjLDq

Comments