Is it possible for flour to be less...floury?

Not sure what the right wording for this is. I recently bought a 50lb bag of King Arthur Flour since I tend to run through bread flour. I'm usually not experimenting with new recipes, so I usually just add enough flour until it feels the right consistency.

I've noticed that whenever I try a recipe where I actually measure out the amount of flour (by weight, not volume), the dough is always way wetter than it should be. Though I haven't measured it, I estimate that I need to add 25-50% on top of the amount of flour originally called for just to get it to the correct consistency. The recipes I use either call for bread flour specifically, or if they call for AP, I'll use a 50/50 mix of cake flour and bread flour.

At first, I thought it was an issue with the specific recipe, but I've tried two others and I've run into the same exact problem, even with recipes I've made fine in the past. This hasn't ever happened before, so I can only assume it's this new bag of flour that's the issue. Is this possible?

submitted by /u/Matsukaze11
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/YvqDHPx

Comments