Crème brûlée recipe tweaks

I am trying to build a recipe for a large batch of crème brûlée, around 12 people. I've made smaller batches in the past that came out really well, but with this larger batch I'm unsure how I should modify my recipe. My usual recipe uses 12 yolks for a quart of cream, and serves 9-10 people. I did some math and to serve 12 people with the same yolk to cream ratio, I should use 16 yolks and 5+1/3 cup of cream. So here are my questions:

  1. Is my yolk to cream ratio off? Most of the recipes I see online use 8 yolks per quart of cream.

  2. The 12 yolk recipe was flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and dark rum and used 2/3 cup of sugar in the cream. The batch I'm making is going to be flavored with almond extract and amaretto. Since the amaretto is much sweeter than the rum, should I reduce the amount of sugar added to the cream?

  3. And the third complication is that I had to borrow some ramekins, but the borrowed ramekins are of varying sizes. A few of them look like enough for 2 people, and one of them is enough for 3. How should I modify the baking time if I'm going to use these bigger ramekins?

  4. How much amaretto and almond extract should i use? I know almond extract is more potent than vanilla, and I'm not sure whether I should use the same amount of amaretto as I used rum. For comparison I used 6 tbsp. rum for 12 yolks and liked it, I was thinking perhaps 7 tbsp amaretto for this batch.

submitted by /u/PopularVersion604885
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://www.reddit.com/r/AskCulinary/comments/zyi92i/crème_brûlée_recipe_tweaks/

Comments