Fizzy Fruit from ChefSteps Help

Hi everyone,

I'm sure many folks have seen that fizzy fruit (Dry Ice + Fruit in a cooler) experiment that Chefsteps did a few years back. I started experimenting with the idea for a party I'm doing next week. I got some grapes, tangerines, kiwis, pears and apples (in season fruits since I thought I'd have the best shot at quality).

Test 1 (2 lbs of dry ice) - 24 hours - 1 lb subliminated by the time I got home (20 min walk home) - Total dud - I opened the cooler and it was like nothing happened. No dry ice or coolness.

Test 2 (10 lbs of dry ice) - 20 hrs - Went straight home this time - Some of the dry ice was spilling out of the towel which was a big mistake. It was still super cold and stuck to the towel. -The grapes turned out great! Everything else...not so much. There were variations in temperature, taste etc. Some of the fruits were also frozen and this wasn't uniform. So for example some of the kiwis near the dry ice were fine and some at the farthest corner were not. I'm not really sure how that happened as I would have expected the opposite.

Anyway, there's still a little bit of dry ice left which means that 10 lbs was overkill. Something like 7-8 lbs might do me justice. The grapes were really good at delivering that "fizzy" effect without having too much of a degradation in quality (to be fair I did reuse the fruit). I think I'll just stick to grapes unless people have other ideas. I'll also be sure to FULLY cover the dry ice cause I'm almost certain that based on what Chris Young said in his video explaining the technique, some of the fruits froze before they could accept the CO2. If anyone has any tips please let me know!!

submitted by /u/yte24
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/no0hEYL

Comments