Can I save this Japanese curry I mistakenly contaminated with slightly green potatoes?

https://imgur.com/a/mucvgir

The situation:

I did not know that green potato chunks could be poisonous. I thought it was a ripeness thing :/ I know better now.

I haven't added the curry cubes yet. The potatoes were in the soup for about 20 minutes, and I took them out just before the water boiled.

I've seperated the potatoes into 2 bowls; slices where I couldn't identify any green, and slices where I could identify some green. I've added an imgur link but in case it doesn't show, I'll say that I estimate that around 10% of the total surface area of the potatoes were green; however, this green does not penetrate deeper into the potato chunks, and remains surface-level.

Currently, I'm just boiling the heck out of the soup, and plan to for a few hours to hopefully help the situation, but I'm not sure that'll help.

The questions I have are:

  1. Is the curry I'm making too risky to eat? I'd rather not throw it out, because I hate wasting food, but I hate dying even more.

  2. If the curry is still safe, can I use the potato chunks that had no green on them, or should I throw all of them out in their entirety?

  3. What can I do to prevent this in the future? For reference: The potatoes were stored in the refrigerator, since, well, it's cool, and it's dark most of the time.

My current plan of action, which I would appreciate feedback on, is:

  1. Boil for a few hours in the hopes of sterilizing the pot.

  2. Finish cooking.

  3. Eat a small portion and carefully monitor for symptoms over 24 hours.

  4. If I develop even minor symptoms, throw it out. If not, continue to eat away at the curry

I greatly appreciate any help and feedback.

submitted by /u/Kanoko_Tohsaka
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/STtx4DE

Comments