Finishing off fish after sous vide?

My partner got me a sous vide for Christmas after years of wanting one. He used to be a line cook and I can honestly say he’s really helped me up my cooking game the last few years. I’m pretty confident in my searing skills.

I sous vided (sp?) my first salmon fillet the other day and god damn, was it good. However, it fell tf apart when I took it out of the bag. I did a brine in sugar/salt for around and hour and then put some oil and garlic in the bag, popped it in the bath, and cooked for 30 or so min at 122.5 degrees. I attempted to sear it in a ripping hot pan, but I couldn’t even transfer the fillet to the pan without it falling apart. I still massively enjoyed it, but I couldn’t help but think it would be untouchable had I managed to nail the sear.

One thing that crossed my mind was maybe using a blow torch to get a little char on it. Any advice would be appreciated!

submitted by /u/passara1
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/sAZ5reG

Comments