Should I get a French top on my new range?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about getting a French top on my new range but have never cooked on one and would like to hear impressions from people who have used one and can compare it to using standard burners. I usually like to cook relatively simple meals with a vegetable dish like glazed carrots or braised asparagus, a seared protein with some kind of sauce, and maybe a grain. I also like to cook pasta dishes and think it would be an asset there as I could boil the pasta water in the center and moderate heat with the edges to temper egg or cheese sauces based sauces. I don't cook a lot of stir fries but I've read that the center part can be removed to provide a powerful flame for a round bottom wok which I consider a benefit for when I'm in the mood to stir fry. I'm also curious about the cleaning as I've heard they're difficult to maintain. Basically what are the pros and cons of having one compared to just having extra burners in the same range space (since they usually take up the space that would otherwise be used for 4 burners). Thank you all in advance, and happy cooking.

submitted by /u/alexp861
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/BGYKe4f

Comments