Black Lentils and Urad Dal aren't the same... are they?

The Thug Kitchen cookbook has a recipe for tacos which calls specifically for black lentils. These are not easy to find. Fortunately, there's an Indian grocery store in my neighborhood, so I can get them in bulk at a very reasonable price.

... Unless they're not black lentils. These are "Urad Dal", Matpe beans. It's a mung bean, I think. But when I go online and search for black lentils they come up as an option. And when my dad makes dal, he uses lentils. And there's a couple sources online that are neutral, or say "no they're different" or "yes they're the same"

All I know is that when boiled in three cups of water for thirty minutes, they did not taste done. Not raw, but they were unpleasantly hard. Can anyone give guidance on where I might be able to find black lentils, or if these are black lentils and I'm just bad at cooking.

submitted by /u/CavemanKnuckles
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/xnKuQV3

Comments