I'm looking for a way to add some oomph to sauteed mushrooms, but if possible I'd like something that highlights the mushrooms and brings out their flavor rather than masking it. (More in text.)

I'm starting to experiment with different mushrooms. I've always enjoyed Italian brown mushrooms, sliced and sauteed in EVOO and butter until crispy and brown, with some fresh thyme thrown in toward the end (and maybe a dash of dry sherry).

Recently I found a vendor at the farmers market who carries a wide variety of mushrooms. I bought a king oyster mushroom and prepared it the way I described above (minus the sherry), and it was amazing. Then, the other night, I tried the same method with a combination of beech and hen of the woods mushrooms, and it was just meh. I've had hen of the woods before at one of Michael Voltaggio's restaurants, and it was incredibly good, so I know there must be something I can do to bring out its flavor.

I searched this sub before posting and saw that some people add balsamic vinegar or worcestershire sauce when sauteeing mushrooms, but I'm a little concerned that would just mask the flavor. I'm thinking maybe an anchovy might add some oomph if I melt it in the EVOO/butter before adding the mushrooms? Any other suggestions?

submitted by /u/didyouwoof
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/B9ScQNv

Comments