|Help| Failed attempt at reverse searing roast beef

I dry brined a 2.6 lbs chunk of picanha (with the fat cap on) the night before.

today I tried to reverse sear it in the oven and pretty much failed, I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if my thermometer was inaccurate (I'm using a thermopro tp17)

I set the oven to about 212F (used oven thermometer), placed the thermopro probe in the thickest part of the chunk and waited until the thermopro showed 115F internal, took the chunk to sit ouside and switched the oven to highest temperature on broiling/grilling mode.

the weird thing is, when it showed 115F and I took it out, it then kept climbing to 118F, and set on 118F and never went back down no matter how chilled the chunk got while resting outside.

when the oven reached about 465F on broil, I placed the chunk back in at the highest possible rack level so it's as close to the top of the oven as possible, the thermopro probe was still in, this time I set it to 130F.

this is where things gone bad, it took forever for the thermopro to reach 130F internal (around 15 minutes if not more), by the time the thermopro showed 130F, the whole fat cap of the meat was practically burnt.

all of the meat was pretty overcooked, except from the VERY VERY center of the meat (I guess where the probe was), but even the center wasn't medium rare, it was more like medium.

what did I do wrong here? how can I do it better next time?

any help would be appreciated!

submitted by /u/Expln
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://www.reddit.com/r/AskCulinary/comments/vhn7vb/help_failed_attempt_at_reverse_searing_roast_beef/

Comments